The BEST whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread that is perfectly moist on the inside and so flavorful. It’s naturally sweetened and vegan! This is the perfect healthy snack or breakfast!
Whenever I have lots of ripe, spotty bananas in my house the first thing that comes to mind is baking a banana bread. It’s a treat that I always look forward to the moment it comes out of the oven. I love the sweet and cozy smell of my house that lingers for hours after I take the bread out of the oven. I enjoy having a slice of the banana bread for my late afternoon snack throughout the week and sending my husband off to work with a slice. It’s also one of my favorite breakfasts paired with some almond butter and a drizzle of honey.
Traditional banana breads contain a lot of processed sugar and white flour, but my version is made with organic stone ground whole wheat flour. I love the hearty texture that using whole wheat flour gives this recipe. It definitely creates a denser bread which was exactly what I have been craving. If you opt for a lighter texture then you can use whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour instead.
I typically use eggs in my baking recipes, but since my daughter has an allergy to eggs I wanted to bake something that she could enjoy as well. This recipe is free of eggs, but you would never be able to tell. In addition to being allergic to eggs, she also has an allergy to almonds. I use almond flour in a lot of my recipes to make them gluten-free, but really enjoyed using whole wheat flour to make it safe for her.
This recipe contains no refined sugar. Bananas are naturally really sweet so I only needed to add a small amount of maple syrup. You can feel free to substitute the maple syrup with honey if you’re not vegan. This banana bread tastes just like the ones you would buy packed with lots of sugar and white flour, but is a much healthier version.
This banana bread has become a staple in my house and adding chocolate chunks makes it even more perfect. There is nothing better than a slice of this hearty, sweet and delicious whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread warm from the oven!
The Best Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread!! #bananabread #veganClick To Tweet
These are my go-to ingredients for this recipe:
The Best Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
The BEST vegan whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread that is perfectly moist on the inside and so flavorful. It’s naturally sweetened and vegan! This is the perfect healthy snack or breakfast!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (any milk will work)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 mashed bananas
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (for a lighter texture use whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pink sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with coconut oil.
3. Add the wet ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
4. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add wet mixture and combine (don’t over-mix). Fold in chocolate chunks.
5. Pour into a loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (time varies, but mine took 45 min).
This recipe was inspired by Enlightened Eating