The best slow cooker chicken enchiladas! These are grain-free and gluten-free, require minimal ingredients and are easy to make!
I love love loveeee Mexican food! Enchiladas have always been a favorite of mine when dining at a Mexican restaurant. I wanted to recreate a healthier homemade version and these came out incredible! I love that these enchiladas are grain-free and gluten-free. You can easily make them dairy-free by not adding cheese on top.
What is an enchilada?
An enchilada is a rolled tortilla stuffed with meat (usually chicken, pork or beef), or vegetables (for a vegetarian version you can fill the tortilla with just veggies and beans). Once the tortilla is rolled up with either meat or veggies it’s then covered with enchilada sauce and baked in the oven. Enchiladas can fall under the category of ‘Mexican food’ or ‘Tex-Mex’.
Enchilada sauce – I prefer to buy store-bought enchilada sauce instead of spending time making my own. This enchilada sauce is made with clean ingredients and tastes incredible!
Chicken – I like to slow cook the chicken in a slow cooker / crockpot because it comes out SO moist and tender, but you can also use rotisserie chicken. I always opt for organic, pasture-raised chicken.
Cheese – Always opt for organic grass-fed cheese. You can use cheddar or a Mexican blend. I like to use a cheese grater to freshly grate the cheese on top, or you can buy already shredded cheese.
Tortillas – I like to use grain-free tortillas to keep this recipe gluten-free and grain-free. However, feel free to use the tortilla of your choice if you prefer flour or corn tortillas.
Toppings – I’m all about toppings! I like to serve these enchiladas with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro
How to make slow cooker chicken enchiladas
The first time I ever made enchiladas I was so intimidated, but I found out that they were one of the easiest things to make!
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker: Add 1/2 jar of enchilada sauce and the chicken to a slow cooker. Cook them on low for 7 hours, or high for 3 – 4 hours.
- Shred your chicken: Once the chicken is cooked shred it in the slow cooker using two forks and then mix the shredded with the sauce that’s still in the slow cooker.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Lightly heat up the tortillas, then spoon the shredded chicken cooked in the enchilada sauce onto on side of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly and place it seam side down in an oven safe baking dish.
- Sauce. Spoon on some extra enchilada sauce and sprinkle cheese over the top. If you’re dairy-free you can leave out the cheese.
- Bake. Bake the enchiladas at 350F for about 15 minutes, until they are lightly crispy.
- Top and enjoy! Add your desired toppings: cilantro, sliced avocado, green onions.
The Best Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
The best slow cooker chicken enchilada recipe! These are grain-free and gluten-free, require minimal ingredients and are easy to make!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Add 1/2 a jar of enchilada sauce and 1 lb of organic chicken breasts into a slow cooker or crock pot. Slow cook on low heat for 7 hours; or high heat for 3 – 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with 2 forks, then mix together with the enchilada sauce that is already in the slow cooker.
- Assemble the enchiladas by lightly heating up the tortillas and adding two spoonfuls of the shredded chicken onto one side of each tortilla. Tightly roll each tortilla, then place it on a baking sheet with a very thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom.
- Spoon the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas and the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are lightly crispy.
- Top with sliced avocado, cilantro and green onions.
Keywords: enchiladas, grain-free, gluten-free, mexican food, dinner, slow cooker, crockpot
More Mexican / Tex-Mex food you’ll love: