This vegan & gluten-free superfood bowl is packed with veggies, coconut black rice & a pumpkin seed pesto.
This bowl includes some of my favorite veggies – kale, purple sweet potato and butternut squash! Purple foods are currently ‘trending in the kitchen’ so it’s only appropriate that I used purple sweet potatoes in this recipe. I also happen to be obsessed with the flavor of purple sweet potatoes! Butternut squash is the perfect ingredient for this time of the year and is just sooo delicious when roasted! I massaged the kale in a little fresh lemon juice and Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Did you know that massaging kale enhances its nutritional properties?!
The pumpkin seed pesto is seriously DREAMY and is the most amazing sauce, dip or spread. It’s made with simple ingredients: pumpkin seeds, spinach, basil, lemon, garlic, pink salt, pepper and Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The coconut black rice has become my favorite thing to add to meals! It’s so simple to make and pairs so nicely with this dish. Plus, it adds amazing flavor!
This bowl can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner and will definitely become one of your new go-to favorites for autumn!This vegan & gluten-free superfood bowl is packed with veggies, coconut black rice & a pumpkin seed pestoClick To Tweet Print
Pumpkin Seed Pesto Coconut Black Rice Superfood Bowl (Vegan & GF)
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 medium purple sweet potato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbspPompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of pink salt and pepper
- 2 cups of kale
- 1 tbsp Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Coconut black rice:
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
Pumpkin seed pesto:
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Squeeze of fresh lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of pink salt and pepper
- Begin by making the roasted veggies followed by the coconut black rice.
- While those are cooking make the pumpkin seed pesto and massaged kale.
- Combine everything into a bowl and enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Pour 1 tbsp Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a bowl with the butternut squash and purple sweet potato. Sprinkle with pink sea salt and pepper and mix together so the olive oil lightly coats all of the veggies.
- Place the veggies on a large roasting pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, mixing halfway through.
- Wash and chop the kale.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice to the kale and massage with your hands, until the kale is soft and well-coated.
Coconut Black Rice:
- Heat up the coconut milk, water and black rice in a small pot over the stovetop. Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes (or according to package instructions).
Pumpkin Seed Pesto:
- Combine all the ingredients for the pesto in a blender or food processor and blend or process until smooth.
This post is in partnership with Pompeian. Thank you for supporting Leah’s Plate and the brands that help make this site possible!