I had my family over last weekend for a fun-filled bbq. This strawberry and toasted pecan salad is the perfect summer salad. It’s great as a side dish or appetizer. It can also be made into a meal by adding some grilled chicken or fish.
Summer Strawberry & Toasted Pecan Salad
- Salad Ingredients:
- 10 ounces arugula
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds
- Toasted Pecan Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (can substitute brown sugar)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave nectar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place pecans on a parchment-lined baking sheet (tin foil works as well). Roast for 8 minutes.
- Add coconut oil, coconut sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Remove toasted pecans from oven and toss with coconut and spice mixture. Spread back onto the baking sheet and toast for approximately another 5 minutes, or until golden brown, being careful not to burn.
- Remove pecans from the oven and let cool briefly and then sample to test flavor. Toss with a touch more salt or coconut sugar as needed. Set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and shallot. Sauté until soft and fragrant, about 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add shallot to blender or food processor with balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp olive oil, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until completely pureed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add arugula, hemp seeds and most of the strawberries and roasted pecans to a large mixing bowl and top with 2-3 Tbsp dressing. Gently toss to combine.
- Plate salad and garnish with remaining strawberries and pecans. Serve additional dressing on the side. Serves 2 as an entree, or 4 as a side dish. Best when fresh.
Cuisine Vegan, Gluten Free
Salad inspired by Minimalist Baker’s Strawberry Arugula Salad