Healthy slow cooker bbq chicken salad (dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free & refined sugar free).
This has been a go-to lunch for me and Josh lately! We both love bbq chicken, so I decided to make a healthy salad version! This salad is dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free and very low in sugar (if using the bbq sauce and dressing that I recommend). This salad can easily be made paleo and Whole30 if you omit the beans.
I love making a big batch of the bbq chicken in the slow cooker and then shredding it with two forks on a cutting board. I use it in the salads and also in bbq chicken sandwiches the following day!
Let’s chat about the ingredients:
- chicken: always opt for organic and pasture-raised. You can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs, whatever your personal preference is. You will cook the chicken in a slow cooker / crockpot which makes it SO moist and tender!
- paleo bbq sauce: you’ll use this in the slow cooker with the chicken. Make sure the bbq sauce you use isn’t loaded with sugar. I highly recommend the one that I linked to.
- mixed greens: this is for the base of the salad. You can use romaine, spinach, kale… the list goes on!
- sweet potato: I cut the sweet potato into cubes / bite-sized pieces and roast in the oven with avocado oil, salt and pepper at 400F for 30 minutes.
- cucumber: chopped. You can peel it if you prefer the skin on, but I like to leave the skin on for extra fiber.
- beans: I am obsessed with these healthy refried beans, but you can use black beans, pinto beans or kidney beans. If using canned beans make sure you rinse them really well.
- kraut: I love adding kraut to salads and sandwiches for it’s natural probiotics and I love the flavor it adds.
- chives: chopped up on top
- fresh cilantro: chopped up on top
- paleo bbq ranch dressing: HIGHLY recommend!
I really enjoy this meal with a side of these grain-free nacho chips! It pairs SO well!Print
BBQ Chicken Salad (dairy-free & gluten-free)
Healthy dairy-free and gluten-free bbq chicken salad
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours and 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 - 3 servings 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Diet: Gluten Free
- In a slow cooker add 1 lb of organic chicken breasts and 1 jar of paleo bbq sauce. Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked shred it with 2 forks on a cutting board.
- Roast the sweet potato in the oven for approximately 30 minutes at 400F with sea salt and pepper, tossing halfway through..
- Assemble the salad bowls by starting with the mixed greens, then the chicken, sweet potato, cucumber, beans and kraut. Top with fresh cilantro and chives. I used paleo bbq ranch dressing.
Keep any extra chicken stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container to use in another said or a bbq chicken sandwich!
I really enjoy this salad with a side of these grain-free nacho chips!
Keywords: bbq, salad, gluten-free, dairy-free, low sugar