These delicious cheese-free grilled quesadillas created in partnership with Pompeian Olive Oil are packed with freshly grilled vegetables and hummus for the perfect vegan meal!
One of my favorite summertime activities is heading to the farmer’s market on the weekend with my family. I love picking out fresh produce for the week ahead and enjoy chatting with the local farmers. On Sundays I usually prep a lot of food for the week ahead to make my life easier. I usually roast a huge batch of assorted vegetables and add them into different meals throughout the week. However, this Sunday my husband and I were in the mood to use the grill – it is summertime and all. There’s such a cozy feeling about grilling with my family on a Sunday evening. It makes me so happy and it’s truly one of my favorite ways to close out the weekend. It also makes me feel better about the week ahead because I know I have lots of food prepped and waiting for me in the fridge.
We decided to grill all of the vegetables that we had just picked up from the farmer’s market – bell peppers, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms and onion. I look forward to using these grilled veggies in various ways throughout the week. I will add them to my salads, sandwiches, pasta, grain bowls and love dipping them in hummus for a quick snack! Another great idea for how to use the vegetables is in a quesadilla! Since we were already using the grill for the veggies we decided to grill the quesadilla as well. The grilled quesadilla came out perfectly crispy and was full of flavor.
I decided to make these quesadilla completely vegan by using hummus in place of the cheese (usually the cheese binds everything together once melted, but the hummus can actually do the same thing and is a great alternative to cheese in this situation). The flavor of the hummus also pairs perfectly with grilled vegetables. You can use any tortilla you like, but I enjoy using a sprouted ancient grain tortilla. This hummus and vegetable quesadilla is my take on ‘reinvented comfort food,’ which is currently ‘trending in the kitchen.’ I never want to give up my favorite comfort meals, but love modifying ingredients to make them healthier.
These quesadillas are so easy to make – simply grill the vegetables in Pompeian Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil, pink sea salt and pepper. While the veggies are grilling I spread the hummus on the ancient grain tortillas. Once the veggies are grilled to perfection I cut them into smaller pieces and then place them on top of the hummus on half of the tortilla and then cook the quesadilla on the grill in a touch of Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I love adding fresh guacamole, more hummus and fresh cilantro on top of the quesadilla.
These quesadillas are healthy, satisfying and delicious! I hope you enjoy a nice evening of grilling with friends or family before summer comes to an end 🙂These delicious cheese-free quesadillas are packed with freshly grilled vegetables for the perfect vegan meal!Click To Tweet Print
Farmer’s Market Grilled Vegetable Hummus Quesadilla (Vegan)
These delicious cheese-free grilled quesadillas are packed with freshly grilled vegetables and hummus for the perfect vegan meal!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1 handful of asparagus
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 tbsp hummus
- 2 whole grain tortillas
- 1 dash Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Light grill to medium heat.
- Wash and cut the vegetables. Place the vegetables in a bowl and combine with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, sea salt and pepper. Make sure all the veggies are lightly coated, then transfer to the grill.
- Grill the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3 minutes until the veggies are tender. Remove the veggies from the heat and chop into small pieces.
- Assemble the quesadillas by lightly brushing both tortillas with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Flip the tortilla over and spread 4 tbsp of hummus (2 tbsp on each tortilla) over the entire surface and then divide a large handful of mixed vegetables on half of each tortilla. You should have some leftover vegetables – enjoy them throughout the week!
- Transfer the tortillas over low heat on the grill and allow to cook for about 3 minutes. Fold in half, flip, and cook until the tortilla is golden and crisp, about 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board to slice each one in half. Serve immediately with mashed avocado, the remaining hummus and garnish with fresh cilantro.
This post is in partnership with Pompeian. Thank you for supporting Leah’s Plate and the brands that help make this site possible!