Happy 2017 my friends! I hope you had a wonderful time ringing in the new year.
Apple crisp and apple cobbler are two of my favorite desserts and this recipe combines the two so you get the best of both worlds! This dish is so healthy that you can enjoy it for breakfast. It’s free of refined sugar, dairy and gluten.
This recipe is made by scooping out the inside of apples and stuffing them with an ‘apple crisp’ filling and then topping them with a crumble topping. The crumble topping is made from simple ingredients such as oats, almond flour, pink sea salt, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. I love the texture of the crunchy topping combined with the soft and sweet apples.
This is such a delicious and healthy dessert and I recommend serving it with some vanilla ice cream. Since it’s best served warm, the vanilla ice cream melts on top and makes this dish even more amazing! I also enjoy these baked apples for breakfast served with some vanilla yogurt and almond butter. If you’re vegan use vegan ice cream or coconut milk yogurt.
These apple crumble baked apples are free of refined sugar, dairy and gluten. Enjoy them for breakfast or dessert!Click To Tweet
Shop the ingredients used for this recipe:
Apple Crumble Baked Apples (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
A healthy and satisfying dessert free of refined sugar, dairy and gluten.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- 1 and 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- Pinch of pink sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 apples
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375F
Make the crumble topping:
- Add the oats, almond flour and pink sea salt to a bowl
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon to a small pot over low heat. Allow coconut oil to melt and stir everything together. Pour into the bowl with the oats and almond flour and mix very well to combine.
Make the apple filling:
- Peel and chop 2 apples
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat and add in the chopped apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Saute the chopped apples, stirring often until they are soft and well-cooked.
Make the apples:
- Cut the tops off of the remaining 4 apples and scoop out the insides.
- Place the apples on a baking sheet and fill each one with the apple filling followed by a spoonful of the crumble topping.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or yogurt.